ABOUT THE ROLE
Second Front Systems’ Operations team is seeking a skilled and motivated Site Reliability Engineer - Skillbridge Intern to join our growing team. At Second Front Systems, we build software that accelerates delivery of emerging technologies to U.S. warfighters. We’re a collaborative, purpose-driven, and professional growth-oriented team dedicated to making an impact on the future of U.S. national security.
Through the Department of Defense’s SkillBridge program, we seek to provide transitioning active duty service members career mentorship and the opportunity to gain valuable civilian work experience.
ABOUT THE SKILLBRIDGE PROGRAM
SkillBridge is an opportunity for service members to gain valuable civilian work experience through specific industry training, apprenticeships, or internships during the last 180 days of military service prior to separation. Learn more about the program: https://dodskillbridge.usalearning.gov/
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a Site Reliability Engineer - Skillbridge Intern for Second Front Systems, you’ll learn to monitor, maintain, and improve our cloud native platform for deploying software as a service offerings to the national security ecosystem. You will work within a team on monitoring client application state and performance, with a focus on capacity, latency, emergency response, error volume, rate and type, and change management. You will learn automation for integrating 3rd party tooling for observability as well as doing in-house development to streamline platform operations. You’ll ensure we are adhering to our Service Level Agreements with clients and support on-call operations. We pride ourselves on working together as a team and delivering results and you’ll be expected to work cross functionally on both well defined topics and on areas you identify as needing automation and monitoring to improve system resilience and reliability. You’ll be a core member of the emergency response team ensuring we minimize downtime of our platform as well as client applications. You’ll gain a level of DoD 8570 compliance. We work in a fast-paced agile environment to deliver exceptional software solutions that empower the people who use our products. As part of the team, you’ll be expected to establish benchmarks, outline key activities, and prioritize efforts across multiple initiatives and programs.
SKILLS YOU’LL BRING TO THE TEAM
- Experience in systems administration, information technology operations, systems or software engineering, and/ or computer science
- Familiarity with DevSecOps principles, components, and cloud computing providers and services
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks
- Coding experience strongly recommended
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to understand technical concepts
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Active security clearance or ability to obtain a Secret-level security clearance
- Familiarity with AWS
- Familiarity with Kubernetes
- Familiarity with Confluence, Jira, Gitlab, Google Workspaces
- DoD 8570 compliance
- Strive to be both compassionate and direct with your feedback
- Team-oriented and inclusive with your actions
- View obstacles as opportunities for growth
- Strong interest in matters of national security
- Ability to adopt, create and iterate on changing procedures
WHO WE ARE
At Second Front Systems (2F), we equip defense and national security professionals for long-term, continuous competition for access to emerging technologies. Founded by two former U.S. Marines with firsthand experience of the dangers outdated technology poses in combat, our team is dedicated to fast-tracking government access to disruptive, commercially-proven technology for U.S. national security missions.
Our Game Warden product, a fully managed and compliant DevSecOps platform, accelerates the process for accrediting software as a service (SaaS) applications for government use.
Learn how 2F can help you make an impact on national security missions at www.secondfront.com
ONE LAST THING…
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested—We'd love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience.